Thursday, May 11, 2006

Creative Failure?

I recently reviewed an article in CMO Magazine that highlighted the results of a study of 109 successful business owners. The study found that many of these successful business owners had failed in other attempts to build businesses. It seems that creativity is just that...the means to develop many ideas and push to be successful, but with an understanding that there might be failure.

The article highlights a story about Steve Jobs of Apple fame. We all know about Apple. Both my wife and son have iPods. But here is the story highlighted in CMO Magazine...a story I've read before and still like its message.

Jobs told Stanford graduates how valuable he'd found it to be canned by his own company. "I didn't see it then," he explained, "but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life."

So here's to being creative.

Michael T. Bauer
http://www.creativeleading.com

No comments: