Thursday, July 20, 2006

Innovation Killers

I just finished reading through a list of "Innovation Killers" written by Sue McPhail and posted at Innovate Daily. What I love about Sue's writing is that it is freshingly simple and straightforward. She has lots of twists and angles to her thinking and it pushed me to expand my view.

Here is one of her Ten Innovation Killers...and one of my favorites:

The "worldwide shortage of ideas"Fearful that they'll never have another idea as good as this one, many people keep their idea to themselves for fear that it will be stolen and they won't receive acknowledgement. The truth is, the more ideas you have, the more ideas you'll have. You've got to prime the pump and leave the faucet on."

I've seen happen so many times in different companies that I've worked for. Great people with great ideas get stopped in their tracks and decide not share them anymore. It happens and it comes back to having good management in place to welcome and recognize good ideas.

...Michael

Michael T. Bauer, MSW is the President and Chief Creative Officer of Innovative Business Resources, LLC, a management consulting firm that focuses on helping organizations align their leadership and culture with their business strategy.

Michael is the publisher of the Creative Edge Newsletter.


No comments: