Thursday, July 06, 2006

A July 4th Parade...Time To Bring Out The Streamers

I went to our local July 4th Parade in Menomonee Falls, but here it
occurs on the evening of July 3rd. I consider myself a patriotic type of
person. I support the work of our troops...even had an opportunity to
work with them. And I love our Country. But I didn't enjoy this parade.
The first 15 minutes was focused on recognizing our Veterans...and
then it became one big advertising opportunity. The MF Optimist
Club sponsors the parade and they are a wonderful group. But this
parade had 14 politicians waving, saying hello, and handing out flyers.
There are a number of significant political races developing in
Wisconsin...Governor, Attorney General, Local District Attorney,
Local County Sheriff. But I didn't come to a parade to have contact
with politicians seeking office. I would have been fine if a couple local
leaders were involved, but there were too many "hopeful" candidates
and their teams trying to gain "my" vote. Then there were the
numerous entries that just mounted to a giant advertisement for
windows, dance companies, vacation bible school, and environmental
friendly "stuff." There weren't enough bands...where were the
bagpipe players, where were other things that could represent the
holiday. I remember the parade when I was maybe 12 years old...the
village had a bike decorating contest and my younger brother won a
prize. Everyone that had a decorated bike could ride in the parade.
And where were the flags...we use to have someone handing out
flags...yes it gets expensive...but it means something to hold onto the
American Flag during the parade. Maybe....I miss the parades when I
was younger...in rural Wisconsin...10-12 tractors were the normal
amount...followed by the tractor pull and a huge softball tournament.


Oh well...maybe next year we'll be more creative...and more
respectful of the holiday. Or maybe next year I will decorate my old
10 speed Schwinn with red, white, and blue streamers and ribbons
and enter the parade.


Michael T. Bauer
http://www.creativeleading.com/ote

No comments: