Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Games Develop Creative Thinking Skills

It shocked me to read the other day that many school districts around the country are banning games during recess. The article in the USA Today stated that schools are banning touch football, soccer, dodgeball, and recently TAG. The concern...that children may get hurt playing games that aren't supervised as they would be in a physical education class. I wonder if there are bans on musical chairs or duck duck goose? How about the monkey bars that I climbed on when I was a kid...even sprained an ankle one time...I suppose they aren't allowed. Maybe we should just tell children that they can't play...only study. My question is what happend to allowing kids to just play. Sure, sometimes they get bruises or maybe a cut, but there are too many benefits. Play leads to creativity, to socialization, to problem solving. In the long run...this is not a wise decision.

Michael T. Bauer
http://www.creativeleading.com

No comments: