Monday, June 26, 2006

My Prayer's Go Out to Sedona

Hey...this is my first day back from a week's vacation in Sedona, Arizona. Fantastic trip...but also a very sad trip. If you've been watching the news...you may have heard about the brush fire in the hills above Sedona...Brin's Fire. It started on the first full day in Sedona...and never stopped. Sometimes we could smell the smoke late at night or early in the morning...and most nights we could see fire burning high above. The last count I heard was roughly 700 firemen and women were there to fight this one...and numerous helicopters and airplanes. Even a couple teams of Hot Shots were there...they are the experts at putting out wilderness fires. I talked to quite a few people that were evacuated and scared that they would lose their homes. It's hard to imagine fires of this size, especially if you live in Wisconsin where we get lots of rain and snow. We have our own potential problems such as tornados and floods...but it's rare for us to have a serious fire. When we left Arizona, there were five or six of them...including a larger one on the north side of the Grand Canyon.

And so it went...that I spent my week playing...flying in a balloon over the state park, riding in a train through the red rock valleys, bouncing in a hummer that took me deep into areas I wouldn't have ever seen, taking a trip to one of the seven wonders of the world...the Grand Canyon, shopping, eating great Mexican food, and having my daily afternoon swim.

And yet the fire continued to burn.

So, I would like to say to the people of Sedona area and to all the firefighters involved...that my prayers are that all of you remain safe and that the fire is brought under control in a very short time.

Michael T. Bauer
http://www.creativeleading.com

No comments: