Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Be My Valentine!

It's late on Monday, the night before Valentine's Day, and I'm sitting here thinking about how I will show my love for my wife and son. But I realize that there are many other people that I need to show my love for. So, let me pass on this small bit of wisdom...

I would like you to take time to think of every one you love, not just the person you may be intimately involved with. Those you love, also love you. You don't need to send them a dozen roses or diamonds and jewels because all they really need is simpler things in life. You can choose to be creative and honor them in many ways:
  • Leave that unexpected "I miss talking with you" voicemail.
  • Choose to wear something they gave you for Christmas.
  • Keep a promise you made to them.
  • Just hug them. This is one of my personal favorites!!!
  • Do something for them that they hate to do themselves. Clean the dishes, do the wash, clean the bathroom...Do it without complaint and only with love.
  • Ask for their advice...because they have some great ideas.
  • Make a date to spend more time with them..Andd then do it.
  • Pick up the phone and call your dad, you mom, your sister or brother, son or daughter, your friends....
  • Slow down. Be patient. Truly treasure the moment because you won't have another one just like it.
  • Open the door for them. The car door or the house door...or any door when they have their hands full.
  • Let them go in first or last. Whatever they want is the right thing.
  • Smile at them and laugh with them. Enjoy being with them.
  • Be silly with them..And play with them.
  • Write a poem or sing a song to them. Maybe even write and sing a song to them.
  • Read them a story, and tuck them in. I'm a green eggs and ham fan. How about you?
  • Watch their tv shows or listen to their music...even if they are teenagers.
  • Write some words of love to them...something sweet always works.
  • Say a prayer for them, and I will say one for you.
  • Be happy...because more than anything they love to know you are happy too.
  • ...and finally, don't expect anything in return. Just enjoy giving all day long and then, tomorrow, start doing it again.
And to my best friend.......Mary, I love you!!!

Happy Valentines Day!

Michael Bauer
http://www.creativeleading.com/ote

No comments: